Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Avatar 3D

There are certain movies that set the precedence and raise the bar for movie making.  Avatar has established itself as one of those movies and is a milestone in the evolvement of movies and entertainment today.  James Cameron's last achievement was the Titanic and he has added another movie to his crown of accomplishments.  Did I like the movie, you think? Absolutely!

This is the type of movie that has to be seen not only on the big screen, but it has to be seen in 3D.  Yes, one could say the technology and special effects made the movie, but many movies can still fall flat on their faces if it doesn't deliver beyond that.  It has to be a story that connects to the hearts and minds of the audience.  What do I mean by deliver?  My experience is that it transported me to another world far beyond my wildest imagination.  The movie took me to an amazingly beautiful world that filled me with childlike wonder with the grandeur and beauty of Pandora.  The scenes of the Navi taming, bonding and flying on a Direhorse, climbing up vines to floating mountains and the horror of seeing the central spiritual tree fall were so memorable.   James Cameron, the genius behind it all, shared his vision with millions of enthusiastic viewers around the world.  I'm sure others who have experienced the scenic beauty of Pandora just jump-started ideas in their own minds.

Some would say that the plot was too black and white of how corporations in the name of capitalism can devastate the local natives due to greed.  It is funny that the mineral the corporation is after is called "unobtanium".  But I got something else out of it.  The natives loved the good and bad of the nature around them and felt one with the plants, animals and other natives in their world.  We are all somehow connected with one another and what we do can impact those around us.

Does this turn me into a member of a tree hugging activist organization or a member of PETA?  Not exactly, but I will appreciate the gift of life God has given all of us and I will do whatever I can to respect that gift.

Kudos to Cameron's genius and I am looking forward to buying the DVD and seeing the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment